Monday, May 10, 2010

Odd behaviour @ the gym

Did some heavy bag work this weekend at my gym.  Actually, it wasn't really MY gym since this place was all the way up in Richmond Hill.  I had no choice but to go there because my gym's punching bag broke off the stem and was grounded with no immediate date for repair.

I don't particularly like this gym for several reasons:  1) it's in the basement - no window/natural light; 2) the freaking punching bag is in the middle of the high traffic area of the floor so everyone can watch you as you punch the bag; 3) there are too many muscle heads.

What I found funny was how people would watch me work out on the bag, and then they'd see me look at them watching and break out into a mimicry of muay thai or boxing, hitting the air - for me to view and assess, I guess.  

It was rather funny.  Again, I stop to rest, look away from the bag and there is another dude watching.  Our eyes meet and then he breaks out into this martial arts song and dance number - sneaky glances here and there to make sure I'm still looking his way.  The minute they do this, I immediately turn the other way.  Why give them the satisfaction?

I wonder why people do this?  Is it to quietly let me know we are fellow martial artists?  Is it to show off?  I'd much rather have them talk to me and ask about my training background rather than put up with these juvenile antics in the background.  Half of them are all posers anyway, displaying improper and ineffective technique.

I just want my gym to fix its bag quickly.  That set up was great.  Tucked in a corner where people traffic is lowest on the floor.  I can happily pound that bag for hours without anyone seeing me.  Easier to focus when there are no distractions from wannabe Jean Claude Van Dammes.

No comments:

Post a Comment